A Sophisticated Collections Management System
EMu Collections Management Systems have been at the forefront of collections management for more than three decades. Comprehensive and flexible, EMu can accommodate the requirements of any collecting institution, but is widely acknowledged to be the pre-eminent system for Natural History collections.
Now introducing EMu 6.0: featuring an updated User Interface, for improved User Experience, without loss of EMu’s rich functionality.
EMu Collections Management System is proud to include the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of Natural History, American Museum of Natural History and British Natural History Museum amongst its users, alongside such respected and diverse institutions as the Egyptian Museum, National Gallery of Australia and New York Botanical Gardens. View the full list.
Manage Your Collections
- Catalogue to international standards.
- Manage complex taxonomies and synonymies.
- Ensure consistency of authority terms by linking to external thesauri and people databases through Linked Open Data.
- Manage multimedia, text files and physical objects data in one central database.
- Supports Unicode and is multilingual, including right-to-left languages (Arabic and Hebrew).
- Create efficient workflows to manage conservation, Reading Room requests, digitisation processes, etc.
- Conduct powerful collections research and analysis.
- Easily manage user permissions and access to records and authority files.
- Manage exact physical locations using hierarchies of locations.
- Manage treatments schedule and condition checks.
- Track and monitor trap and pest information.
Increase Access To Your Collections
Publish your collections online through your website
Make digitised images, document, video and audio files available online
Allow detailed online searching or browsing by category
Store narrative and thematic material
Publish to national and international research portals
Manage Your Digital Assets
Manage physical records, born digital and digital copies
Build simple data entry forms and digitisation workflows
Build reports to monitor data entry and digitisation statistics
Import / export in XML formats, including EAD
Integrate with digital preservation systems and DAMS
Want to watch the EMu demo Video?
Complete this form and you’ll be directed to the full video.
EMu Can Be Used With A Range Of Add-On Products
Integrate with and connect to 3rd party solutions
What Our Customers Say
Barbara M. Thiers
Director of the William and Lynda Steere Herbarium
New York Botanical Garden
“We work very hard at building, editing and sharing our database, and are continually challenged to make the process more efficient and comprehensive. We find that the folks at Axiell are as determined as we are to meet these challenges, and we feel privileged to have them our partner in this work.”
How the Natural History Museum manages 80 million specimens
NHM has a global reputation in scientific research and many outside researchers are given space at the institution to examine the specimens. A great deal of material is also lent to, and digitally shared with, an extensive network of museums and scientific institutions all over the world.
Read Case Study
Melissa Bechhoefer, Anthropology Collections Manager
& Sam Schiller, Archivist
Denver Museum of Nature & Science
“[You can] take all these disparate, divided groups of data you have in all sorts of different formats at your institution and bring them together so that staff and users, whether that be scientific researchers or high school students or whomever, would be able to have access.”